Memories of Swing Tipping

This forum is for discussing the Swing Tip
Catfish.017
Roach

Re: Memories of Swing Tipping

Post by Catfish.017 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:04 pm

In my teens having only a float Rod it was the butt indicator for me; made of peacock quill as recommended by Benny Ashurst in his book on match fishing ( my bible in the 70's) the slight disadvantage of friction through the Rod rings was amply compensated for by having the indicator much closer to the eye.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:16 am

I still use a swing tip extensively for late summer shy biting tench and bream- with the exception of a float it remains, in my view, the best tell tale of what is going on at the business end. Set up correctly as explained above one can fish at distance with the sensitivity of a float....it is also enormously good fun working out when to strike..with bream especially.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Firebird
Arctic Char

Post by Firebird » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:17 pm

I still have a swingtip at the bottom of my tackle bag though haven't used it for as long as I can remember. I used to like fishing with it, maybe because it was associated with the big bream catches of the 70s. But like so much in fishing, I think its use has declined as it has fallen out of fashion. Everyone uses poles now.

(I even have an old target board, another piece of pointless kit I once lugged around.)

BobTheFloat
Chub

Post by BobTheFloat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:43 am

I've just purchased an unused 9ft Shakespeare swing tipbrod and am waiting for it to be delivered havent used one for years I'm quite excited I'll pop up some pics when it arrives.
Your one bite away from the best session of your life

Return to “Swing Tip”