1920s thread colour

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Fred
Silver Bream

1920s thread colour

Post by Fred » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi every one, sorry I’ve been quiet for such a long time. Things are sorting there selves out so you may here more from me in the New Year.
I am rebuilding a rod from the 1920s and it has know name and I could do with your help.
It is 10ft 6in long in three sections, first and second sections are whole cane with a flaming effect and the third section (tip) is lancewood. It has a 17in wooden handle with brass fittings. It has six snake eyes and a porcelain tip eye. I borrowed an Allcock tackle catalogue from the 1920s and it fits the description of the Allcock Roach Rod. :read:
What I need to know is what colour thread would they have used on a rod in the 20s, or would it be the usual red, green, blue or black.
Fred
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Harry H
Arctic Char

Re: 1920s thread colour

Post by Harry H » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:41 pm

What colour has it got at the moment? When you remove the old whippings have a look at the inside of them and you can normally see the original colour. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Fred
Silver Bream

Post by Fred » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks Harry, as luck would have it the old whipping was still in my wastepaper basket. Although some of the eyes had been rewhipped most of the eyes on the tip section look original. After looking at the under side of the whipping under a light magnifying glass it looks red, although from the top it looks black. I think this rod is going to look even better than I first thought.
Fred :Hat: :cheers:

AG Purser
Stickleback

Lancewood...

Post by AG Purser » Wed May 17, 2017 10:46 pm

hello there, i note your old post of last year (!) and your mention of Lancewood...
i have recently acquired a two piece fly rod, made from what i think is Lancewood
is 'your' Lance wood of a dark colour? a sort of Walnut brown? i have got several rods that have 'wood'
tips, but all seem to be of a light colour such as Greenheart...,
this 2 piece is quite heavy, but my research does not give me much info re colour.
its only for my own knowledge i would like to know a bit more!
retired, NOT a fisherman. and obsessed with old cane rods, for restoration!!
alan................

Fred
Silver Bream

Post by Fred » Fri May 19, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm no expert but the tip of this rod is the same colour as the hole cane that the rest of the rod is made of.
hope this helps Alan.
Fred

SeanM
Eel

Re: Lancewood...

Post by SeanM » Fri May 19, 2017 10:40 pm

AG Purser wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 10:46 pm
hello there, i note your old post of last year (!) and your mention of Lancewood...
i have recently acquired a two piece fly rod, made from what i think is Lancewood
is 'your' Lance wood of a dark colour? a sort of Walnut brown? i have got several rods that have 'wood'
tips, but all seem to be of a light colour such as Greenheart...,
this 2 piece is quite heavy, but my research does not give me much info re colour.
its only for my own knowledge i would like to know a bit more!
retired, NOT a fisherman. and obsessed with old cane rods, for restoration!!
alan................
It's very likely to be greenheart. This can be quite dark in colour.
Quot homines, tot sententiae. (And now we are 6!)

Vole
Tench

Post by Vole » Fri May 19, 2017 11:17 pm

The only rod I've seen that the owner assured me was lancewood was a very blond yellow. If you google "Lancewood Rod" images, you'll see an assortment of pale brown rods, but I think that's down to elderly varnish. Google "lancewood drumsticks" and you'll get a better idea of what it looks like new."
With the reservation, of course, that it's a "common name", and what an Edwardian rod-builder meant by "Lancewood" may not be the same species as that used by a drumstick-maker...
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”