Priory rods bournemouth .

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Benj1dog
Stickleback

Priory rods bournemouth .

Post by Benj1dog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi all i have just come into posession of a quite delapidated split can spinning rod about 7ft six long. It has steel rings all unlined, so no particularky well shod. Label is mostly missing , but enough there to identify as priory.

So there is what appears to be a groove or split on the flat face where label,is. Also it appears to delaminating along one joint of the majority of the but sesction. Top section is mostly ok, no splitting etc. but is a little bent.

Rod does not really owe me anything.

So my questions is it worth attempting to restore it.

Is it worth it for the rod

Is it worth it as an exercise.

How do you repair a delamination?

Any idea what model it would have bben.

Thanks.

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Priory rods bournemouth .

Post by OldTackle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Good evening Benj,

it is always worth to restore a cane rod unless it is broken in my opinion. The delamination is in a part of the rod that is not unusual but good that it is not the tip. You won't go wrong if you'd only whip over the delaminated part as else you'd have to remove the handle most probably.
The 'bent' tip section is what to my knowledge is more known as a droop or set. If you use the search function you will find a lot of help by just reading. But there are always some chaps around here who are most interested and helpful in such restoration jobs and one job may be similar to another but just NOT the same. So maybe keep feeding this post as your first restoration project?
What you may want to try first is to get you some bamboo skewers from the supermarket. Take a bent one and try to straighten it by heating the area over the flame of a candle. Get to the temperature where you don't want to touch it more than a few seconds (about 60°C). Then bend it into shape. By doing so you will get an idea for the feeling before you dare to go too far and damage your rod. Keep in mind that whatever brand or make your rod is - it had taken some time for the maker to shape and flatten the bamboo strips to make the hexagonal blank.
You may find yourself obsessed very quickly and your rod will be the first of a many others to come.

Guess I missed to welcome you to the TFF - apologies. My hearty welcome, Sir. :Hat:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Benj1dog
Stickleback

Re: Priory rods bournemouth .

Post by Benj1dog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi , thanks for the reply, i have refreshed a number of cane rods in the past , but this has been limited to stripping and re whipping eyes etc and re varnishing. I use these then for sea fishing. Amazing fun catching a decent sea bas on an allcocks light caster.

I will do more reading on here, i think i may have to remove the handle as the delamination is over 70 percent , but all on the same joint.

Cheers

Norm.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”