light avon rod project (less than 1lb Tc)

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Chavender
Arctic Char

light avon rod project (less than 1lb Tc)

Post by Chavender » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:49 pm

I had a wanting for a lighter soft actioned avon style rod ,it had too be light ,it has too be less than 1lbs Tc .I sometimes find a avon rod even a 1lbs TC rod too powerful ,and a float rod too underpowered .and I like too fish on the lighter side .

I have a 10ft light float rod (my old trent rod project 2pce whole cane with split top section cane to split cane) which was ok ,although the tip I fitted at the time a little too soft (it came from a flyrod ,a jap import) So that's going too get a stiffer tip fitted .that'll be good for trotting smaller waters .but i'm now after a rod for crucians ,small tench & perch. so need something a little forgiving but still handle a bigger fish should they come along.

I prefer a two piece rod with a .75 lbs Tc ,that can be used for short distance float fishing with wagglers ,lift method etc or light ledgering ,able to cope with fish too 5-6lbs etc soft enough for lighter lines .

so I looked through my stash of doner rods in my work room ,then the attic stash

I found a 7wht flyrod ,i'd brought this for a different project as it had two tops ,one had been broken and repaired (then broke again) and a good top ,the good top was used on another project ,I was left with a 4" shorter rod with a repair (not ideal but will do at a pinch and I can replace later) .

the top wasn't quite long enough foe a two piece make over ,but I did have enough for a chapmans .500 style rod with a detachable handle and shorter sections give or take a inch or so trimmed off .

a bit of a rough flex test ,and compared it with my flyrod (same maker but lighter wht rated (5/6 wht ) the doner being from the same range but a 6/7 wht rod .it was soft enough for what I was looking for .dimension wise being a fly rod and soft action your not looking at like for like .a proper coarse avon will have a tip dia of around 0.o98" - .108 quite a fine tip ,for a similar action /flex a 7wht equivalent tip dia is about 1½ times bigger dia ,your looking at .156 - .167 " ,chunkier but just as soft etc.

so a bit of measuring and a bit off here and a bit off there and I have two equal lengths with mid ferule fitted .

well the bare bones blank sorted 2X 4ft sections ,next job make a 24" detachable handle ...
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Crucian
Brown Trout

Re: light avon rod project (less than 1lb Tc)

Post by Crucian » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm

I'm liking this already Steve :Thumb:

Shed_Monkey
Perch

Post by Shed_Monkey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:58 pm

Crucian wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm
I'm liking this already Steve :Thumb:
Me too - I have stash envy now :Chuckle:

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:19 pm

the principle is sound ,cane is cane ,just that fly blanks aren't tempered coarse rod blanks are ,the fly blanks are softer slower tapers ,you can get the length right ,its matching the action that's a little harder ,I have been known too underestimate a action and end up with a slightly stronger rod than desired .its a gamble but with a feel for what you want ,might not be as slim as a purpose built rod.but will work the same ,and should I get it wrong ,I can always redo it ,these are basically my working prototypes ,I can always improve them later .

Paul F
Eel

Post by Paul F » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:26 pm

Sounds like you have a plan coming together Steve, I look forward to seeing the end result :Thumb:

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:02 pm

So with what usable cane I have to work with I have two sections of 48" giving a 8ft length of cane ,now all it needs is two foot of handle or 24" whichever is greater .i'm going down the chapman 500 route ,although this will be more a .410 ,because in my world the .500 in the chapmans.500 rod = 500 grams or ~1lbs (2.2lbs = 1kg) ,so as my version is less than 1lbs in equivalent grams would be approximately 410 grams .but i'm waffling...

ok back to the real world and first world problems ,I need a detachable handle ,ie tube or dowel former with a outer layer of cork for comfort. Not as straightforward as you'd think ,there's several choices as too what the tube or former can be made from ,a solid wood dowel etc all you need is a ferrule too affix one end and it have a tensile strength to cope with being under pressures of angling without breaking or bending .

I have a number of materials at my disposal

Alloy cheap net handle (16mm dia) ,I buy them from carboots etc for £1 or so they make excellent mandrels for handles ,and you get a threaded end that can be removed for other purposes or you can incorporate it and use at the butt end under a flared end piece to screw a button into .

or maybe a larger handle you can get the deluxe old style net handle ,they're ribbed and about 20mm dia ,again have a built in threaded end

you can use old alloy bank sticks ,they're hollow alloy strait and good dia for cork rings or sleaves

then there's bamboo ,old rod section can be reused for handles ,they give a certain amount of flex and allow a rod too bend right through it ,but it needs a good sidewall thickness

you can even use old sections of glass rods to build a handle on ,very light and stiff ,just like bamboo check the walls

or carbon ,like glass makes a suitable material so long as the sidewalls are sufficient

if you want a bit of weight in the handle nothing stopping you using a old splitcane rod section either in continuous taper or reversed ,I keep off cuts and old sections of cane and bamboo ,I checked the near corner too see what whole cane sections I have too choose from ,should I go that way

then a quick check in the far corner where I have some partial sections and off cuts and salvaged handles

it was this corner I delved into and after a quick rummage I surfaced with a salvaged handle from a old broken carbon rod ,with the bonus of having reel bands already and appropriate vintage style too .

a quick measure shows its close @ 23" ,but falls short of the required 24"

No problem ,i'll just extend it ,shame the rounded end will go ,So I stuck a little dowel in the end and sanded down the bulbus end too take a metal butt cap and button to get to 24"

the reshaped end wasn't sufficient too glue the butt cap on to so I put some turns of masking tape around the dowel to build up a arbor ,now it has too be masking tape ,as it absorbs some of the glue and will set solid ,if electrical or other shiny tape used the glue won't adhere properly and can come unglued ,plus on hot days there could be enough heat too melt the gum on the tape and it'll slip about and could break away the covering cork

once the arbor was right and a good fit to the tapered inner walls of the butt cap ,I put a layer of thread over it ,another trick to help make a good bond.

Now I seamed to of skipped a bit chronology ,I needed a butt cap to extend the handle ,I riffled my reclaimed items draws ,I have some I reclaim from old rods ,found a suitable sized one ,nice but a little tired and a few rough spots but I can work with that .

nothing a quick polish and bluing can't hide

umm a bit too newish ,better knock it back some and with a dibb dab of fine wire wool

and its looking better ,lived in a little rubworn .just nice

ready too be sealed with a clear coat of metal laqcour

nicle and covered and good too go

this now refurbed butt cap I glued onto the handle and got my extra inch (always good to have a inch more) with the button on

I glued a ferule into the carbon tube (araldite for metal being my choice ) ,but it was missing something...

looks naked without a coller doesn't it.so I rummaged through some more draws and found one that fits ,everything coming up trumps for once.

I glued it into place (used gorilla glue for this job as it'll fill any gaps and bond well) and the handle was complete if a little rough looking ,I think it needs a manicure...

Bobby Marlene
Crucian Carp

Post by Bobby Marlene » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Wow, very interesting. I look forward to the next chapter. You have quite some material in your work shop. Bobby

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 pm

one mans material is another mans junk or for a hoarder like me a treasure ...

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Well the handle is built ,but needs tidying up ,as its got the usual grime that comes with use but under that is a thin layer of varnish ,not the worse offender I've seen ,but will need to remove it ,under all that is a few battle scars ,cuts and odd divot's (voids) i'll have too deal with .

under the grime is polish ,under the polish is some nice cork I hope

a inspection reveals a couple of big divots where chunks of the cork have come away leaving void's

a few cuts n slits (bet you read that twice!) these probably from shrinkage or nicks opening up the cork

and the odd old scar

and the little deeper natural pits n streaks in the cork that can make a handle rough to hold .

Nothing a few pegs n paste can't handle ,but first of all it'll need cleaning and the lightest of sanding to get through the varnish ,i'll leave the reel bands until later (I need a new stiff toothbrush too scrub them with ,can't find my old one)

i'm going too turn the handle to scotch brite it to get rid of the varnish and the majority of grime the rest i'll wash off

i'm using my lathe even though I have a rod turner/wrapper that can be used but my lathe is faster .now in order the attach the handle too the lathe I made a litt6le adaptor fron a preston quick change connector (I removed the spring loaded cowling ) leaving the bare innards a small tube and head with a 3/8f thread that I can screw into the butt cap .

I had too knock up a support for the other end ,I screwed a support from my waper to a bit of wood or two ,all balanced to be at the right height to keep the handle level when spinning .

a bit of gentle touch with the old scotch bright (alternatively you could use a Mr Muscle miracle pad) no need to press hard just a gentle application to cut through the varnish layer

Soon made short work of that ,got a good clean rod handle now ,Now the fun starts as I fill in the void's etc

time to make the filler paste ,I don't buy pit paste ,its easy enough to make the amount needed myself ,its just pva glue and cork dust .I always save the dust from whenever I turn cork on the lathe or rod wraper.

But its just as easy too make from scratch ,you just need some old cork ,like if your stripping old rings off rods save the crumbs/chunks ,they have their uses beyond making filler paste.

you need too reduce the cork to dust ,so rub it up some abrasive paper or suchlike you don't need tons as it'll go a long way,use a little brush too sweep it off the sanding paper into a small pile.

only need a small dollup of your Pva glue

sprinkle on the magic powder (ok its just cork dust)

wave your magic wand ,(well stir it in) and haypresto you have your paste ,just need too make sure the application zone is clean and ready ,this dirty boy needs a scrub up

nicely cleaned up and the old filler fell out and theres a nice slit too back fill

ten squeeze in some paste ,really push it in dep

with the paste just proud of the surface ,use a wet finger to smooth it over

once cleaned up and smoothed ,just need to wait for it too dry & set.

as it drys ,the pva goes clear and shrinks and the paste hardens ,it should be good as is but might need a light rub down if it doesn shrink in enough (depends on the glue ) that's all there is too it ,mix it,spread it,smooth it ,dry it ,finished it...

The voids they're too big to use paste as it'd look like a bold patch ,I prefer too plug the gap with a cork plug (piece of cork chunk cut too fit the hole ) and glued into place .

in order for the plug too sit right ,i'll need too clean up the void ,dig out any unnecessary material to leave a squared of socket for the plug ,I use a small flat blade driver to chisel out the debris and to get strait edges

you can use pva glue or even gorilla foaming glue ,but I prefer superglue for a quick set and neater finish ,you only need a little spread about

then just pop in your precut plug ,I like to cut mine slightly (1mm or so) over size lengthways and give it a squeeze as I pop it in for a tight fit ,it just needs too be higher than surrounding cork ,you'll trim it to size later,a little cork dust around the sides ,and leave a couple of minuets for the glue too set.

Time to cut it down too size ,it has to conform too the level of the surrounding cork and curvature of the handle (no flat spot) ,first cuts are vertical slices into the cork ,I like to rock the blade as I slice to follow the handle profile .

next I start the off cuts ,I slide the blade up over the surface to follow the profile and take out one bit at a time

alternate the cuts from side to side of the block cutting to the vertical slits till all the blocks are gone

a light sand over (I wrap the sand paper around it and just a couple of turns and its all flush

just a few scars too fill and the job is done ,I now have a nice presentable handle for my rod.

Now the real work begins ,the whipping of the rod...

Jeremy Croxall
Chub

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:15 am

Fascinating, some very useful tips there Steve, thanks very much for posting! :Hat:

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”